Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Chestnuts
Roasting Brussels sprouts transforms these humble vegetables into crispy little morsels of goodness packed deliciousness a vast improvement on the taste and texture of their boiled counterparts. This recipe is a perfect accompaniment to many dishes, but especially a Sunday roast.
- 500 g Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved lengthways
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150 g whole chestnuts (vacuum packed – I like MerchantGourmet)
- sea salt, pink Himalayan salt or Herbamare
- cracked black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F, gas mark 6, 200°C (180°Cfan-assisted) and line a large baking tray with parchmentpaper, or a silicone baking mat.
- Place the halved sprouts onto the tray,drizzle with the olive oil, season with salt (or Herbamare) and pepper thentoss well to ensure everything is thoroughly coated and evenly spread acrossthe tray. Bake for 20 minutes, giving everything a stir after 10 minutes toensure even roasting.
- Remove the tray from the oven, add scatter overthe chestnuts, making sure they are evenly spread out. Return the tray to theoven and continue to roast until the sprouts are tender and are starting to gogolden brown – this should take around 15 to 20 minutes.
- When making thisrecipe, I’d LOVE to see how you get on so either send me a photo to email@example.com or post a picture to Instagram using the #myrelationshipwithfood and tag @myrelationshipwithfood
LISA’S TIP – These sprouts can be served hot or cold, and make a delicious addition to salads – think of them as nutrient packed croutons! To make them even more special, sprinkle over some Manchego or parmesan cheese for the last 5 minutes of roasting – and don’t be surprised if you find your non-sprout loving friends eating more than just one!