Whole Chicken Baked with Rice
- 1 whole chicken
- 500 g brown or white rice,(uncle Ben's long grain) washed until the water is clear
- 4 carrots, cut in half lengthways then slice into small pieces
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 16 reen olives, pitted and sliced
- 350 ml pasta sauce, classic marinara (I use the brand Gefen)
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp tamari sauce, gluten free
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 pint boiling water (you might need a little extra throughout the cooking)
- 1 chicken stock cube, gluten free, dissolved in the pint of boiling water.
- sea salt and white pepper
- garlic granules
- ground paprika
- Pre-heat the oven to 425°F, gas mark 7, 220°C (200°C fan-assisted).
- Rinse off the chicken under cold water and remove any hairs by scraping with a blade of a knife.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan on the stove, together with a splash of olive oil. When the pan is hot, place the chicken in the pan and seal for approx. 2 minutes on each side then remove from the heat.
- When the chicken has cooled down, season inside the cavity with a little sea salt, white pepper, paprika and garlic granules. Then season the outside with sea salt, white pepper, paprika and garlic granules and set aside.
- Place a large oval casserole dish (29cm in diameter) over the stove. Add 2 tbsp. of olive oil and sauté the finely chopped onion on a medium/high heat until translucent.
- Turn the heat down and add the crushed garlic together with the rinsed brown rice, continuously stirring.
- Add the carrots and olives together with the tomato marinara sauce, tamari sauce and honey.
- With a wooden spoon, move the rice to the sides of the dish, pushing it about 3cm up the sides, keeping a base of rice on the bottom.
- Then place the chicken, breast down in the center of the casserole dish, cover with chicken stock and return to the stove on a medium heat for a few minutes to get it warmed through and then place the casserole dish covered, in the pre-heated oven, turning the chicken over after 1 hour and continue to cook for a further 30 minutes then turn the oven temperature down 20 degrees less to 400°F, gas mark 6, 200°C (180°C fan-assisted) and cook for a further 30 minutes.