Cod Baked in Mediterranean Sauce
A light and flavoursome dish that’s rich in protein, quick and easy to make and perfect for when you want something tasty on the table pronto!
- 6 skinless cod fillets (approx. 150-200g per fillet)
- 2-4 tbsp sun-dried tomato oil or olive oil (I like to use the oil from the sun-dried tomato jar)
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes sliced
- 100 g cavolo nero washed and sliced (discard the stalk)
- 1 red onion peeled and sliced
- 12 pitted olives sliced – I like to use Queen olives but feel free to use your favorite sort
- 4 peeled garlic cloves minced
- 1 x 400g tin cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 250 ml boiling water
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 700 g passata sauce (I’ve used the brand Mutti)
- 1 tbsp honey
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F, gas mark 6, 200°C (180°C fan-assisted).
- Add the sun-dried tomato or olive oil into a large non-stick oven proof frying pan over a gentle heat, then add the sliced onions and sauté until soft and translucent for about 5 minutes. Lightly season with Herbamare or sea salt and a touch of cracked black pepper to taste.
- Add the minced garlic to the onions and continue to sauté with the onions for a further 2 minutes. Afterwards, add the rinsed cannellini beans, along with the sliced sun-dried tomatoes and olives and continue to cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the cavolo nero and reducethe heat.
- Dissolve the vegetable stock cube in 225ml boiling water, then pour into the frying pan and increase the heat to medium high and cook for 5 minutes. Then add the passata sauce and honey, continue to cook for afurther 5 minutes until the sauce is bubbling and slightly thickened. If your frying pan isn’t ovenproof, it is at this point you will need to decant the sauce into an ovenproof dish.
- Season each of the cod fillets with sea salt or Herbamare and cracked black pepper then carefully submerge the fillets into the sauce ensuring they all fit in nicely, then drizzle the top with olive oil.
- Place the pan (or dish) into the pre-heated oven and cook for 12-15 minutes depending on the size and thickness of your cod fillets - if they are large go for 15 minutes and slightly less if smaller.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with Greek basil or chopped chives and serve immediately.
- If you make this recipe, I’d LOVE to see how you get on so please either send me a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or post a picture to Instagram using the #myrelationshipwithfood and tag@myrelationshipwithfood
LISA’S TIPS - You can make the tomato sauce in advance and then when ready to cook the fish, heat the sauce to simmering point and then add the fish fillets before placing into the pre-heated oven. This method is great as it gives time for all of the flavors to infuse, giving you an even more flavor-packed dish! You might find that you have a little sauce leftover, if so, you can use to make a shakshuka or boil up your favourite pasta, I love either red lentil or chickpea pasta. Just stir your pasta in the leftover sauce, and for extra protein you can even add a can of tuna – delicious!