Mediterranean Puy Lentil Salad
I love the simplicity of this salad; I keep pouches of pre-cooked lentils in my store cupboard as it’s a great high protein base for any salad. I’ve kept this salad vegan friendly yet have still tried to remain in-keeping within the Mediterranean feel. It’s even more delicious served with crumbled feta or pan-fried haloumi.
- 250 g puy lentils pre cooked I recommend the Merchant Gourmet simply cooked
- 2 baby cucumbers chopped
- 4 salad tomatoes deseeded and chopped
- 2 spring onions sliced
- 6 olives sliced
- 1 ½ tbsp. olive oil
- 1 handful of either parsley or coriander chopped
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- If you’re keeping it vegan, you can increase the fiber intake by adding avocado. Halloumi or feta cheese pairs deliciously with this salad if you want to make it Vegetarian.
- In a mixing bowl add the cooked puy lentils, then add the deseeded tomato, cucumber, spring onion, coriander or parsley and mix well. Add the olive oil and season with sea salt and cracked black pepper, (if you precooked your own puy lentils, you might need a touch more olive oil).
- Check for seasoning, and then serve as either a side salad or topped with added protein.
- If you make this recipe, I’d LOVE to see how you get on so please either send me a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or post a picture to Instagram using the #myrelationshipwithfood and tag@myrelationshipwithfood
LISA’S TIP – I love topping a couple of pieces of toast with smoked salmon and then adding this salad - it makes for a great lunch option. This salad travels well so it’s also perfect for a take to work for a healthy, filling lunch option. If you prefer you can cook your own puy lentils. Rinse the lentils in a fine mesh sieve until the water runs clear. You can cook them in stock or water with a bit of salt. Boil them for about 25-30 minutes. They should be slightly al dente. Drain off any excess water and you’re ready to make the salad.