Red Cabbage with Apple & Dates
- 2 tbsp olive oil light
- 1 large red cabbage thinly sliced
- 1 red onion peeled and finely chopped
- 2 eating apples peeled, cored, and chopped ½ inch cubes
- 1 clove garlic chopped very small
- 8 dates stones removed and chopped
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar apple
- 300 ml boiling water
- 6 tbsp honey
- sea salt
- black pepper
- cinnamon (optional)
- Place a large saucepan with a tight-fitting lid over a medium heat, add the olive oil and, when warm, sauté the red onions until soft and translucent, stirring regularly. Stir in the garlic and chopped dates then continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn the heat down to low, then add the apple cider vinegar, 100ml of the boiling water, and the chopped apples, followed by the sea salt, (herbamare), black pepper, and cinnamon (if using). Stir well, then cover the pan with the lid and continue to cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage with the remaining 200ml of boiling water, then stir well until everything is combined and well-seasoned.
- Bring the contents of the pan to a simmer, then cover with the lid and cook for 1 hour, stirring occasionally before adding in the honey and continue to cook for a further 1 hour and 30 minutes until the liquid has almost reduced. You can keep the cabbage in the fridge or freezes if you need to cook in advance.
- Check for seasoning and serve.
- When making this recipe, I’d LOVE to see how you get on so either send me a photo to email@example.com or post a picture to Instagram using the #myrelationshipwithfood and tag @myrelationshipwithfood