Napa Cabbage Apple Slaw with Tahini & Honey Dressing
Crunchy, fresh tasting salad coated in a nutritious dressing which gives this salad unique flavours in every mouthful.
- 1 napa cabbage or Chinese leaf thinly sliced
- 3 carrots peeled and thinly sliced (julienne)
- 2 apples (Granny smith pink lady or braeburn) cored and cut into match stick size pieces
- 100 g of pecans broken in half (or you can you use raisins if you prefer)
- small handful of fresh chopped dill (optional)
- 4 tbsp. water depending on how you like the mixture
- 6 tbsp. tahini
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. honey
- herbamere or sea salt
- cracked black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds toasted
- In large mixing bowl add the thinly sliced napa cabbage, apple, carrot and pecans.
- Season the salad lightly with cracked black pepper, herbamere or sea salt and toss it all together.
- In a separate bowl mix together the tahini and water until smooth and creamy and then add the lemon juice, honey and season with herbamare or sea salt. Pour the dressing over the salad and mix in until combined.
- Fold in the chopped dill (optional) and then place on a serving platter and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
LISA’S TIP – I spiced up the traditional coleslaw recipe as I’m not a huge fan of salads drenched in mayo dressing. For me the perfect coleslaw has just the right amount of dressing to lightly coat each and every piece. This salad is delicious served as it is, it’s packed with protein from the pecans, which make it pleasurable for anyone following a vegan lifestyle. I personally love to add chopped boiled eggs for extra protein, the tahini really compliments the boiled eggs. Although this salad is also a firm favourite to partner alongside salmon, meat or poultry.