Cornbread Apple & Honey Skillet Cake
- 3 medium apples remove core, finely sliced with skin on
- 250 g cornmeal
- 50 g brown rice flour
- 4 large eggs
- 120 ml acacia honey
- 140 ml rapeseed oil light
- 2 tsp baking powder (gluten free)
- 2 pinches sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 2 tbsp acacia honey
- ice cream of your choice
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F, gas mark 4, 180°C (160°C fan-assisted). Cut around the core of the apples, into 4 sections and then slice thinly and equally. Place the apples slices in a bowl and cover with boiling water to soften. After 5 minutes, strain the apples through a colander, then place on kitchen paper towel and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat the eggs until smooth, add the vanilla bean paste or one whole vanilla pod deseeded together with the oil and honey.
- In a separate bowl add the cornmeal, brown rice flour, baking powder and sea salt and blend together. Sieve the dry ingredients into egg mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Using a 9inch greased skillet pan, pour the cake mixture into the pan. In a concertina lay out the apple slices around the outer edge of the skillet pan or tin overlapping closely and continue in the center. Sprinkle the top with the cinnamon and place the skillet in a preheated oven, on a middle shelf for 40-45 minutes (after 40 minutes check the middle of the cake by inserting a knife or a cake tester until it comes out clean). Once the cake comes out, place it on a wire cooling rack. Using a pastry brush glaze the apples with the honey, whilst the cake is warm.
- If you are cooking this cake in a skillet pan, bring to the table with a large scoop of ice cream in the center whilst the cake is still warm.