Aubergine and Autumn Vegetable Curry
- 1 butternut squash cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 2 sweet potatoes cut into 1.5cm cubes
- 2 carrots cut into 1.5cm rounds
- 1 red onion small, sliced into half moons
- 1 white onion small, sliced into half moons
- 1 tin butter beans drained 400ml coconut milk
- 300 g tomato pasta sauce smooth as possible
- 500 ml chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 garlic gloves crushed
- 2 tsp mild madras curry powder
- 2 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp coconut oil odorless
- Sea salt & black pepper
- wholegrain rice
- fresh coriander
- Preheat the oven to 400°F, gas mark 6, 200°C (180°C fan-assisted).
- Heat the oil in a large (29cm diameter) casserole dish on medium heat.
- Add the onions and sauté until translucent approx. 5 minutes.
- Add the aubergines, salt, pepper, tomato sauce and crushed garlic, mix well and cook for 2-3 minutes longer.
- Add the remaining vegetables: butternut squash, sweet potato, carrots and butter beans.
- Pour over the chicken or vegtable stock, followed by the coconut cream, keep on the stove for another 2-4 minutes until the stew comes to a boil.
- Add the curry powder and coconut sugar.
- Cover the pot and place in the centre of the oven for two hours. Check every 30 minutes and stir to ensure nothing gets stuck to the base of the dish. If you would like to keep the dish in the oven after two hours reduce the oven temperature to 300°F, gas mark 2, 150°C (130°C fan-assisted).
- Serve with coconut wholegrain rice & freshly chopped coriander.