Broccoli & Spinach Soup
When you’re short of time, this is the perfect soup to make. This delicious soup boasts a huge dose of green goodness, nutritious and filling without needing to wait forever to cook this super easy recipe
- 1 onion finely sliced
- 350-400 g broccoli head cut into florets, peel and use the stalk
- 450 g frozen spinach
- 2 tbsp. light olive oil
- 2 ¼ pints boiling water
- 2 vegetable or chicken stock cubes (gluten & diary free)
- herbamare or sea salt
- white pepper
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- kale chips or plantain croutons
- coconut cream or yogurt
- In a large saucepan add the olive oil, onion and sauté until soft for approx. 5 minutes. Add spinach and sauté until soft. Season with herbamare or sea salt and white pepper.
- Add the broccoli florets and stalk, and continue to sauté for 2 minutes. Add the chicken or vegetable stock and stir into the vegetables, check for seasonings. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer on a medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Once the soup has cooked, cool for 15 minutes then, using a hand blender, or freestanding blender. blend into a creamy and smooth liquid. The longer you blend, the creamier the texture will be.
- To serve, I like to garnish with a touch of coconut cream, twist of cracked black pepper, kale chips or plantain croutons.
- I’d LOVE to see how you get on so either send me a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or post a picture to Instagram using the #myrelationshipwithfood and tag @myrelationshipwithfood
LISA’S TIP - Broccoli is bursting with so much goodness. With an abundance of vitamins, calcium and a great source of phytochemical sulforaphane, which has been scientifically proven to help reduce the risk of cancer and repair sun-damaged skin. It’s absolutely decadent and delicious, made using a handful of ingredients, if you don’t need this soup to be vegan scatter some blue cheese or grated parmesan, cheddar cheese over the top.