Raspberry Bakewell Tart
- 240 g brown rice flour
- 80 g salted butter at room temperature (or dairy free butter if required)
- 80 ml mild flavoured honey or agave syrup
- 1 Large egg beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or seeds scraped from 1 vanilla bean pod
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 200 g ground almonds
- 150 g salted butter at room temperature (or dairy free butter if required)
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 180 ml mild flavoured honey or agave syrup
- ¼ tsp almond extract
- 284 g raspberry or strawberry jam, sugar free (my preference is St. Dalfour Jam)
- 30 g flaked almonds
- 100 g fresh raspberries
- icing sugar for dusting optional
- custard, mascarpone or clotted cream
- Preheat the oven to 325°C, gas mark 3, 160°C (150°C fan-assisted).
- To make the pastry, rub the butter into the flour until you have a sandy texture, then add the beaten egg, vanilla, sea salt and honey (or syrup) and mix well to form a dough. Place the dough in a nonstick 10 inch/25 cm fluted, loose bottom tin, spreading the dough out evenly over the bottom and sides of the tin until the tin is thoroughly lined then place the tin into the fridge for 30 minutes to let the pastry rest and chill.
- Remove the chilled pastry case from the fridge then lightly prick the base with a fork before pressing a sheet of parchment paper into the case and filling it with ceramic baking beans or rice. Bake in the preheated for 10 minutes, then remove the beans (or rice) and paper and bake, uncovered, for a further 5 minutes uncovered. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- In a large bowl, rub the butter into the ground almonds until you have a sandy consistency. In a separate bowl or jug, beat together the egg, honey and almond extract then pour the mixture into the bowl with the ground almonds and butter and mix until smooth.
- Spoon the jam over the base of the cooled pastry case and, using a knife or the back of a spoon spread it out evenly over the surface.
- Gently pour the almond mixture over the jam, tilting the tin/using the back of a spoon to ensure it is evenly spread. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds then gently press the raspberries into the surface.
- Place the tart onto the middle shelf of the oven and bake for for 40 minutes until golden then remove and leave to cool – the top will crisp up as it cools.
- Once cool, remove from the tin, sprinkle with the icing sugar and serve with a generous dollop of mascarpone cheese or clotted cream.
- When making this recipe, I’d LOVE to see how you get on so either send me a photo to email@example.com or post a picture to Instagram using the #myrelationshipwithfood and tag @myrelationshipwithfood