Sticky Toffee Pudding with Sesame Caramel Sauce
- 200 g medjoul dates (pitted)
- 300 ml cold water
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp silan date syrup
- 175 g oat flour sifted (I use Bobs Red Mill)
- 1 tsp ½baking powder (gluten-free)
- 125 g coconut sugar
- 80 ml pure rapeseed oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or 1 whole vanilla pod deseeded
- 2 pinches Maldon sea salt
Sesame Caramel sauce
- 5 tbsp tahini
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 4 tbsp silan date syrup
- 3 tbsp honey or agave
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste of 1 whole vanilla pod deseeded
- 2-3 pinches maldon sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F, gas mark 4, 180°C (160°C fan-assisted). Place a ceramic bowl filled with water (approx..1 inch) at the bottom of your oven, (this creates steam to keep the cake moist).
- Line the base and the sides of an 8” spring form round baking tin with parchment paper. In a medium saucepan add the pitted dates together with 300ml of cold water, bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes remove the saucepan from the stove and leave to cool for a further 5 minutes. Then add the bicarbonate of soda (the mixture will froth up) use the back of a tablespoon to blend the mixture together, by pressing the dates into the base of the pan until the mixtures forms a smooth paste. Add the silan date syrup and mix together ensuring that all the mixture is smooth and well blended.
- In a mixing bowl add the oat flour, baking powder, coconut sugar and sea salt. In large mixing bowl add the eggs and beat until smooth, add the oil and vanilla bean paste and mix together.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet mixture discarding any husks from the flour collected in the sieve. Mix until smooth, and then stir in the date paste until thoroughly combined. Pour the mixture into your pre-lined baking tin and bake on middle shelf of the oven for 45-50 minutes, check after 45 minutes using a skewer or tooth pick to make sure that it comes out clean from the mixture. Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes until your able to release the sides of the tin and transfer to your serving platter. Place the sticky toffee pudding on a suitable sauce retaining dish.
- To make the sauce, in a medium sized saucepan add all the ingredients and mix until smooth. When ready to serve, place the saucepan on a gentle heat to warm through, then when ready to serve pour generously over the top of the cake.
- Serve with some delicious ice cream of your choice.