Meatballs with Onions & Carrots
These meatballs are always requested by friends and family in my household! Perfect for the little ones and the grown ups love them too!
- 2 lbs beef mince meat
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp chestnut flour (if gluten-free) or matzo meal
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tsp tamari sauce (or soy sauce)
- 1 onion large finely chopped (use a mini chopper if you have)
- sea salt & white pepper
- 3 inch carrots sliced lengthways and 1/2thickness
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 pint beef stock cube dissolved in 1of boiling water gluten-free
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 2 tsp tamari sauce (or soy sauce)
- 2 tsp ketchup
- 400 ml tomato passata sauce
- Preheat the oven to 325°F, gas mark 3, 170°C (150°C fan-assisted).
- In a magimix chop one large onion, then place in your mixing bowl. Add 2 tbsp. of cold water to the finely chopped onion to form a paste, then season with the salt & pepper, ketchup and tamari sauce .
- Then slowly mix in the mince meat ½ a packet at a time, with a wooden spoon or use your hand (using your hand is best).
- Then make a well in the centre of the mix and add your egg, beat with the wooden spoon until the egg is nicely combined into the mixture. Then slowly incorporate the chestnut flour (if gluten-free) or matzo meal, continue to mix well until everything is binded together.
- You can make this mixture the night before using and leave covered in the fridge, this actually helps to roll into balls, as the mixture will get firmer overnight.
- To make the meatballs use the tablespoon to measure a heaped spoon of the mince meat and then shape into a balls place on a large plate until ready to use (you will need two plates).
- In a deep cassserole ovenproof dish add the oil and fry over the onions until soft and translucent, then add the sliced carrots, season lightly with sea salt and white pepper.
- Dissolve the bouillon in 1 pint of water with 2 tsp. tamari sauce, 2 tsp. ketchup, then add the stock to the pan with the onion and carrots over a medium/high heat for 5 minutes, then add 400ml. tomato sauce
- Keep the sauce cooking for 5 minutes, on a medium/heat. Take off the stove then gradually add the meatballs, let them cook in the sauce for a few minutes before carefully turning them over, so that you can get them all in.
- Place back on the stove for 5 minutes, cover then transfer to the oven.
- Alternatively you can cook on a medium/low light covered on the stove, for 1-1.5 hours, remove from the stove and reheat when needed.
- When making this recipe, I’d LOVE to see how you get on so either send me a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or post a picture to Instagram using the #myrelationshipwithfood and tag @myrelationshipwithfood
LISA’S TIP - Just before serving you can reduce your sauce in a separate saucepan if you would like thicker sauce. You can serve these meatballs with rice or pasta. These meatballs are great for younger children. They freeze well. Defrost when needed over night in the fridge, Reheat over the stove in a non-stick frying pan.