Massaged Kale & Roasted Butternut Squash and Brussels with Pesto Dressing
- 250 g Brussels sprouts outer leaves removed & cut in half
- 150 g curly kale tough stalks removed, washed
- 1 inch butternut squash peeled and cut into ¼cubes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ lemon juice
- sea salt or herbamare
- cracked black pepper
- 12 g fresh basil leaves finely chopped
- 30 g pine nuts lightly toasted
- 30 g Parmesan finely grated
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 10 g pin nuts toasted
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F, gas mark 6, 200°C (180°C fan-assisted).
- Line a baking tray with a My Relationship with Food silicone baking mat or parchment paper. Place your Brussels sprouts on one side of the tray and the butternut squash cubes on the other.
- Season the butternut squash and Brussel sprouts with Herbamare or sea salt and cracked black pepper then drizzle the vegetables with 1 tbsp. olive oil and gently toss to coat but making sure to keep them separate.
- Place into the preheated oven for 30 minutes, checking after 15 minutes and rotating the vegetables to prevent burning. Once cooked, remove and set aside to cool
- Place the kale into a large mixing bowl and squeeze over the lemon juice along with two large pinches of sea salt. Using clean hands start massaging the kale until the colour deepens, it softens and the leaves start to wilt -this process can take up to five minutes.
- To make the Pesto; toast all of the your pine nuts (including those for the garnish, if using) until golden by placing them in a dry non-stick pan over a medium heat, shaking regularly to prevent burning. Remove from the pan and chop finely, setting aside 10g for the garnish (if using)
- Place the toasted nuts in a mixing bowl with the basil leaves, olive oil and parmesan and season with sea salt or Herbamare and then combine. Check for seasoning and adjust if needed
- Place the massaged kale into a large mixing bowl and drizzle over ¾ of the pesto dressing and combine. Add the roasted Brussels sprouts and butternut squash and gently toss to ensure everything is well mixed.
- Arrange on a large serving platter, adding the remaining Pesto dressing and scatter with the remaining toasted pine nuts