Carrot & Courgette Soup
- 1.3 kilos carrots cubed
- 680 g courgettes sliced
- 2 large echalions shallots sliced
- 1 celery stalk cut in half
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 leek finely sliced
- 1¼ litre boiling water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 2 tbsp bouillon powder gluten-free
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- sea salt and white pepper
- chives finely chopped
- 150 g vegetable crisps
- drizzle of olive oil
- In a large saucepan over medium heat sauté the shallots in olive oil until translucent approx. 5 minutes.
- Add the sliced leeks, and sauté for 3 minutes with the onions.
- Add the cubed carrots, continue to sauté for 3 minutes then add the courgettes.
- Season with sea salt and white pepper.
- Add the tomato paste and sugar, stir until the vegetables are coated.
- Add your bouillon powder together with the boiling water. Add the celery stalks and bay leaf then bring back to a boil for 3-5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium and cook for 40 minutes (if you find there is a lot of broth on the top, using a large spoon you can skim that off).
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly. Discard the celery stalk.
- Using a hand held blender, purée the soup in the pot, or purée in batches in a blender or food processor.
- If the soup is too thick, add a little extra boiling water (almond or soya milk are also good choices).
- Garnish with vegetable crisps, a drizzle of olive oil and finely chopped chives.