When these macaroons come out of the oven, you’ll find the temptation hard to resist grabbing one whilst they cool. The texture is almost brownie like, these chocolate macaroons are for the chocolate lover. Ridiculously chewy and fudgy in the centre with a delightful crispy edge.
- 225 g ground almonds
- 115 g caster sugar or sugar of your preference
- 25 g cacao or cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs (whites only) discard the yolks
- 20 almonds whole blanched
- Preheat the oven to 325°F gas mark 3, 180°C (160°C fan-assisted).
- In a large mixing bowl add the ground almonds, chocolate and sugar and mix well.
- Mix the egg whites and gradually pour in the egg whites, then mix well to form a sticky mixture.
- Pre line 2 large baking trays with grease proof paper. Roll a heaped tea spoon of the almond mixture in the palm of your hands into a ball, (I wet my hands slightly to prevent too much sticking!)then place on the tray 4 rows of 5 spacing them evenly, flatten slightly then gently press into the macaroon and place a blanched almond in the middle.
- Place in the pre-heated oven on the middle shelf for 18-20 minutes. Place on a wire rack to cool.
- When making this recipe, I’d LOVE to see how you get on so either send me a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or post a picture to Instagram using the #myrelationshipwithfood and tag@myrelationshipwithfood
LISA’S TIP – If you want to take the chocolate decadence to the next level you can drizzle some melted chocolate over the top. Let the macaroons cool on a baking rack completely. Melt chocolate chips and drizzle chocolate on top. If you would like you you can also omit the cacao powder and keep them plain, as the image below. .