Cheese & Onion Tart
- 280 g (1sheet) gluten free puff pastry sheet (e.g. Jus Rol) or you can use standard puff pastry if gluten-free isn’t required
- 5 large onions, peeled very finely sliced
- 250 g grated cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp Dijon honey mustard
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or light and mild olive oil
- 2 tsp honey
- garlic granules
- sea salt & white pepper
- gluten-free flour for rolling (or plain flour if not gluten-free)
- Pre heat the oven to 400°F, gas mark 6, 200°C(180°C fan-assisted).
- To make this tart you will need a non-stick fluted rectangular loose bottomed flan tin, measuring 31cm x 21 cm 12” x 8 ½ inches.
- Place a large non-stick frying pan over a moderate heat, add the oil and then add in the sliced onions and sauté until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally and taking care not to let colour too much – this should take around 15 minutes. When soft, season with the sea salt, garlic granules, white pepper and then stir in the honey.
- Continue cooking over a moderate heat for another 2-3 minutes, stirring regularly then turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- To a large mixing bowl add the beaten eggs, white pepper, sea salt then add the mustard and mix until thoroughly combined. Add in the grated cheese, then the sautéed onions and mix well.
- Take the unrolled sheet of puff pastry, and carefully place it into the base and sides of the tin, trimming the excess to remove any overhang and then prick the base all over with a fork.
- If your pastry isn’t already rolled, then lightly flour a clean and dry work surface and a rolling pin then place the block of puff pastry on top. Place your rolling pin on top of the pastry and using firm, even pressure, roll the pastry (always rolling away from you and only in one direction) 2 -3 times until flattened, before picking it up, giving it a quarter turn to the right and rolling again, repeating the quarter turns until you have a rectangular sheet large enough to cover the bottom and the sides of the tin – then follow the instructions as above. If your pastry starts to stick to the surface or the rolling pin during the process, then dust with a little more flour.
- Pour the onion, cheese and egg mixture into your pastry lined tin and bake in the pre heated oven for 35-40 mins, until the filling is set and lightly golden then remove from the oven and leave to cool in the tin for 10-20 mins before removing from the tin and serving.
- Delicious served with a crisp green salad.
- If you make this recipe, I’d LOVE to see how you get on - so either send me a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or post a picture to Instagram using the #myrelationshipwithfood and tag @myrelationshipwithfood