Beetroot & Sweet Potato Soup
A nutritiously creamy soup with a hint of earthiness from the beetroot combined with the sweet potato, effortlessly elevated by a touch of sour cream, yogurt or crème fraiche with a sprig of dill – delicious.
- 1 kg beetroot, peeled and cut into small ½ inch cubes
- 500 g sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tbsp olive oil light and mild
- 1 onion, finely sliced
- 1 celery stalk, cut in half
- 2 tbsp oil (of your choice)
- 1 stock cube vegetable or 1 dessertspoon of herbamere
- 2 ¼ pints of boiling water
- sea salt
- white pepper
- olive oil
- cracked black pepper
- sour cream, yogurt or crème fraiche
- watercress or dill
- crusty bread
- In a large saucepan sauté the onions over a gentle heat in the oil until soft and translucent. Then add the cubed beetroot, sweet potato and celery. Season with a touch of white pepper, salt and stir until coated in the vegetables. Then add the boiling water with either the stock cube or 1 dessert spoon of herbamere.
- Bring to the boil and then cover and simmer on a low light for 50-55 minutes until the beetroot is soft. Leave the soup to cool, discard the celery stalk and then blend either using a free standing or handstick blender.
- Blend until smooth, you might find you get a few small pieces of beetroot, but it gives the soup texture. Check for seasonings.
- Serve with a spoonful of sour cream, yogurt or crème fraiche, with a drizzle of oil, cracked black pepper and a sprig of watercress or dill.
- If you make this recipe, I’d LOVE to see how you get on so please either send me a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or post a picture to Instagram using the #myrelationshipwithfood and tag@myrelationshipwithfood
LISA’S TIP – This soup can be served hot or cold, and it is packed with essential nutrients, antioxidants, and minerals. I love topping this soup with yogurt, crème fraiche or crumbled feta, alternatively if you want to keep it vegan you can add a vegan dairy alternative. It’s perfect served with crusty bread or crackers.