Green Berry Salad
This is a great side dish to accompany a BBQ or summers alfresco dining. Each and every mouthful packs a wow factor with a great combination of fruits and vegetables!
- 200 g asparagus peeled and discard 2 inches from the bottom, then cut in half on the diagonal
- 2 courgettes peeled into ribbons
- 120 g green beans trimmed on both ends
- 150 g strawberries stalk removed, halved
- 1 avocado sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- herbamare or sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- 60 g pecan nuts
- 30 g coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp water
- sea salt maldon
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- balsamic glaze
- feta cheese see Lisa’s top tips
- To make the candied pecans, in a small non-stick saucepan add the coconut sugar, water, cinnamon and sea salt. Cook over a medium heat for 1-2 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is bubbling. Add the pecans and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes on a medium/high heat, stirring to coat the pecans in the glaze. Keep an eye on them to prevent burning. Remove from the heat and spread the pecans on a My Relationship with Food silicone baking mat or parchment paper, let the pecans cool completely for 30 minutes, then roughly chop.
- To prepare the vegetables, cut 1 to 1 ½ inches off the bottom end of the asparagus. Then using a vegetable peeler, peel away the outer layer of the stalks. The easiest way is to grasp the base of the asparagus in one hand and use a vegetable peeler in the other, carefully peeling toward (but stopping short of) your hand and rotating the asparagus as you peel. Then cut the asparagus in half on a diagonal.
- Peel down the length of the courgette to get ribbons, stop on each side when you get to the seeds (discard the seeded part of the courgette, or add to a soup/eat raw to save on wastage).
- In a large non-stick frying pan add 1 tbsp. olive oil, on a high heat sauté the courgette ribbons for about 1-2 minutes until cooked, then set aside to cool on a plate, season with herbamare or sea salt and a touch of black pepper.
- Add the asparagus to the non-stick frying pan together with 1 tbsp. olive oil, pan fry for about 3-4 minutes until slightly browned, then remove to a resting plate and season with herbamare or sea salt and a touch of black pepper.
- Finally add the trimmed French green beans to the non-stick frying pan with ½ tbsp. of olive oil and cook for five minutes then transfer to a resting plate with herbamare or sea salt and a touch of black pepper.
- On large serving platter assemble the salad by layering up the salad, divide each of the ingredients into 3 sections. On the base of the serving platter, add a section of the following courgette, French green beans, asparagus, avocado, strawberries and pecans, then repeat this process 2 more times. drizzle ½ tbsp. olive oil and season with a touch of sea salt and cracked pepper. Garnish the salad with balsamic glaze.
LISA’S TIP – This is a great starter salad to be shared to tantalize the taste buds, or equally served alongside a BBQ or al fresco dining. This salad is surprisingly full of flavour, with a wonderful combination of fruits and vegetables. This salad is also delicious served with crumbled Feta as the saltiness of the Feta cuts through the sweetness of the strawberries and candied pecans.