Gluten-Free Carrot Cake Donuts with Cream Cheese Frosting
Gluten-free donuts with no refined sugars with a delicious cream cheese frosting. Not just a healthy treat for adults but kids too!
- 2 eggs large
- 1 carrot grated
- 40 g walnuts chopped
- 60 g sultanas
- 120 g brown rice flour doves farm
- 100 g coconut sugar
- 120 g rapeseed oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder gluten-free
- 1 tsp vanilla powder / bean paste
- 2 pinches sea salt
Cream cheese frosting
- 250 g cream cheese (I recommend Philadelphia cream cheese)
- 2 tsp custard powder
- 5 tsp agave nectar or honey
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- cinnamon sprinkling
- 35 g chopped walnuts
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F, gas mark 4, 180°C (160°C fan-assisted).
- In a large mixing bowl, add the grated carrot, chopped walnuts, sultanas, sea salt, baking powder, cinnamon, coconut sugar and brown rice flour and mix till combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, beat the eggs then add the vanilla powder or bean paste, rapeseed oil and mix into the dry mixture until thoroughly combined. Then pipe into your 12-hole donut tray ¾ of the way up. Bake in a pre-heated oven on the middle shelf for 20 minutes.
- To make the cream cheese frosting, in a mixing bowl add the cream cheese together with the custard powder, agave nectar and lemon juice. Beat until smooth. Place into a piping bag and leave to chill in the fridge.
- Remove the carrot cake donuts from the oven after 20 minutes. After 5 minutes carefully insert a sharp knife around the edge to release the donuts. Leave on a wire rack until cooled.
- When the donuts have cooled, pipe the cream cheese frosting on top and sprinkle with a touch of cinnamon powder and chopped walnuts.
- When making this recipe, I’d LOVE to see how you get on so either send me a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or post a picture to Instagram using the #myrelationshipwithfood and tag @myrelationshipwithfood
LISA’S TIP - If you want to keep this diary free, you can use dairy free cream cheese