Gluten-Free Baked Donuts with Dairy-Free Salted Caramel
- 2 eggs large
- 240 ml almond milk unsweetened
- 80 g coconut oil odourless
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or ½ vanilla pod seeds
- 100 g ground almonds sifted
- 140 g cornmeal medium, sifted
- 80 g coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- sea salt pinch
- 400 ml coconut milk refrigerated in the can (only use the solidified part, discard the water)
- 100 g honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil odourless
- 2 pinches sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F, gas mark 4, 180°C (160°C fan-assisted).
- Melt the coconut oil over a gentle heat leave to cool.
- In a mixing bowl beat together the eggs and then add the coconut oil, almond milk, ½ tsp. of vanilla bean paste or ½ vanilla pod seeds and 1 pinch of sea salt. Mix in by hand the sifted ground almonds and cornmeal, coconut sugar, baking powder and cinnamon then pour the mixture into a measuring jug to make pouring into the donut tray easier. Pour the mixture into the donut hole tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- To make the salted caramel, open the chilled can of coconut milk, and spoon out the solidified coconut milk into a saucepan, discarding the water. Add the honey, sea salt and coconut oil. Whisk all the ingredients together, over a gentle heat until smooth. Increase the heat to a gentle boil until the sauce starts to thicken and bubble, and keep it bubbling for 5 minutes, stirring it. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat to cool slightly (if it hasn’t caramelised, continue stirring on the heat for another 2-3 minutes).
- Once the donuts have baked, take them out of the oven and place them on a cooling rack to cool slightly. Dip or drizzle the donuts in the salted caramel sauce and they are ready to serve!