Gluten-Free Baked Donuts with Dairy-Free Salted Caramel
Who doesn’t love a donut? Gluten-free donuts are an indulgent treat, drenched in this delicious dairy-free salted caramel sauce!
- 2 eggs large
- 240 ml almond milk unsweetened
- 80 g coconut oil odourless
- 1/2 tsp vanilla bean paste or ½ vanilla pod seeds
- 100 g ground almonds sifted
- 140 g cornmeal medium, sifted
- 80 g coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- sea salt pinch
- 400 ml coconut milk refrigerated in the can (only use the solidified part, discard the water)
- 100 g honey
- 1 tbsp coconut oil odourless
- 2 pinches sea salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 350°F, gas mark 4, 180°C (160°C fan-assisted).
- Melt the coconut oil over a gentle heat leave to cool.
- In a mixing bowl beat together the eggs and then add the coconut oil, almond milk, ½ tsp. of vanilla bean paste or ½ vanilla pod seeds and 1 pinch of sea salt. Mix in by hand the sifted ground almonds and cornmeal, coconut sugar, baking powder and cinnamon then pour the mixture into a measuring jug to make pouring into the donut tray easier. Pour the mixture into the donut hole tray and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
- To make the salted caramel, open the chilled can of coconut milk, and spoon out the solidified coconut milk into a saucepan, discarding the water. Add the honey, sea salt and coconut oil. Whisk all the ingredients together, over a gentle heat until smooth. Increase the heat to a gentle boil until the sauce starts to thicken and bubble, and keep it bubbling for 5 minutes, stirring it. Then reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat to cool slightly (if it hasn’t caramelised, continue stirring on the heat for another 2-3 minutes).
- Once the donuts have baked, take them out of the oven and place them on a cooling rack to cool slightly. Dip or drizzle the donuts in the salted caramel sauce and they are ready to serve!
LISA’S TIP - The donuts are best served warm straight out of the oven with warm sauce. If you make the day before, just gently reheat in the oven. You can make the salted caramel sauce a day before and keep it in the fridge. The sauce will go hard, so when you melt it over a gentle heat and spoon off any excess oil that appears.