Coconut Infused Rice
- 300 g white basmati rice
- 120 ml cold water
- 400 ml coconut milk, canned (I prefer to use Organic)
- 2 pinches salt
- 2 tsp sugar or honey
- 10 g desiccated coconut
- Rinse off the excess starch from the rice by placing it into a large, fine mesh sieve and rinsing under cold, running water for around 2 minutes until the water runs clear – this will stop the cooked rice from being too sticky.
- Tip the rice into a large saucepan, add the coconut milk, water, sugar (or honey) and salt, then place the pan over a medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Once the liquid is boiling, turn the heat down as low as possible, cover the pan with a with a tight-fitting lid and leave to cook for 20 minutes – resist the urge to lift the lid during this time or you will release all of the precious steam and your finished rice won’t be as fluffy.
- Once the cooking time is up, turn the heat off, leave the lid on the pan and leave the rice to sit for 10 minutes – this will help the rice to settle and is known as the absorption method. Once the time has passed, lift the lid (you can now admire the rice!) and fluff the rice using a fork, making sure to get all the rice from the bottom of the pan too – then set aside.
- Place a dry frying pan over a medium heat and, when hot, add the desiccated coconut and toast until golden – keep a close eye on it though as it will burn very quickly.
- Tip the cooked rice into a serving dish, then sprinkle with the toasted coconut and serve.
- If you make this recipe, I’d LOVE to see how you get on - so either send me a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or post a picture to Instagram using the #myrelationshipwithfood and tag @myrelationshipwithfood