Chickpea Salad Mix
A high protein filling, that’s doesn’t hold back on flavour and makes for a perfect sandwich filler, sweet or baked potato topper or side! Chickpeas are a great alternative to meat, poultry, or fish, packed with vitamins, minerals and fiber
- 1 can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed (see Lisa’s tips)
- 2 tbsp mango chutney (I recommend Geeta’s Mango Chutney)
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise (vegan if required) or 6 tbsp yogurt (I recommend Yeo Valley)
- 1 handful chopped coriander
- ¼ red onion finely chopped
- ¼ cucumber or 2 baby cucumbers deseeded and finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk peeled and finely chopped
- 1 spring onion finely chopped
- ¼ tsp garam masala
- sea salt
- white pepper
- roasted sweet or jacket potato or for a sandwich filling
- In a mixing bowl mash, the chickpeas, you can either completely mash them or leave some chunks for a bit of texture, (see Lisa’s tip) or you can keep them whole if your short for time. Add the mango chutney, mayonnaise or yogurt, chopped coriander, red onion, cucumber, celery and spring onion. Season lightly with sea salt, white pepper and garam masala.
- Check for seasonings and then either eat straight away ok keep refrigerated.
- If you make this recipe, I’d LOVE to see how you get on so please either send me a photo to firstname.lastname@example.org or post a picture to Instagram using the #myrelationshipwithfood and tag@myrelationshipwithfood
LISA’S TIP – I personally like to de shell the chickpeas, it’s a time-consuming process but at the same time therapeutic, if you have little ones in the house, you can get them involved in this process, just lightly squeeze each chickpea and they will pop out of the shell. If you want to double the recipe for speed you can mash the chickpeas in a food processor, it travels well, so it’s perfect for a picnic, especially when you have some vegan friends or looking for a plant-based salad, just make sure you use vegan mayonnaise or a yogurt when mixing.