Homemade nut butters not only taste better but enable you to control levels of fat, salt and sugar.
- 500 g cashew nuts roasted or raw (see Lisa's tip for roasting)
- 2 tsp maple or agave syrup
- 2-3 pinches sea salt
- gluten-free wholegrain bread
- Add all the cashew nuts to the bowl of your food processor and process for 5 minutes, or until nice and smooth.
- At some point, you will have to scrape the sides fairly often, as your nuts will turn into a very thick and crumbly paste.
- Although it will take some time and you might think that there’s no way your nuts are EVER going to turn into butter – they eventually start to release their oils and turn into nut butter.
- Be patient and resist the urge to add any form of liquid.
- Just keep going, it will eventually happen! Don’t freak when the ball forms, just let it keep going, and you will get nice smooth butter!
- From beginning to end, this might take a good 15-20 minutes of active processing, so it is a good idea to give your food processor a few minutes break from time to time.
- Just before the end when you reach a consistency you like, add the sea salt and maple or agave syrup.
- Keep your nut butter in an air tight container for up to several weeks, if it hasn't been eaten long before then!
LISA’S TIP - You can roast the cashew nuts for approximately 13 minutes, prior to processing, to give that extra nutty flavour. Careful not to burn them! If you want to add a little twist, separate half of the mixture and add 3 tsp Nutella to one half... and give it a quick blend. Now, you can go and grab a spoon!