Caesar Salad with Dairy-Free Cashew Dressing
- 150 g unsalted cashews soaked overnight in cold water
- 6 tbsp nutritional yeast flakes I use the brand Marigold
- 8 tbsp light olive oil
- 7 tbsp water
- sea salt or herbamare
- ¼ loaf gluten-free bread made into croutons
- sea salt
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 large heads of Romaine lettuce chopped
- cooked chicken, fish, smoked tofu or tempeh
- Soak the cashew nuts overnight (or at least 8 hours) in enough water to cover 1 inch above the nuts. Then drain through a sieve and rinse under cold water.
- Place the cashews in a food processor fitted with a S blade, together with the yeast flakes, olive oil and water and blend together. Add the sea salt, taking care not to add too much as the nutritional yeast flakes have quite a salty taste then blend again until you reach a smooth consistency. Check for seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 375°F, gas mark 5, 190°C (170°C fan-assisted). Slice the bread into ½ inch thick slices then cut each slice into cubes (no need to remove the crust!). Spread the bread cubes out in a single layer on a silicone baking mat or baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 5 minutes – keeping an eye on them to ensure they don’t burn.
- Whilst the croutons are baking, mix together the olive oil and sea salt. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and drizzle the croutons with the oil mixture, toss to combine, then bake for a further 5 minutes then remove from the oven, toss again, and bake 5 - 6 minutes longer, until golden brown and crisp. Remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a large salad bowl toss together the lettuce, half of the dressing and garnish with croutons. Serve the extra dressing on the side, or keep it in the fridge for up to 3-5 days to use again.
- You can serve as it is or I would suggest adding cooked chicken, salmon or anchovies & sun-dried tomatoes or, for a wholly plant-based version, smoked tofu or tempeh make lovely additions.