Baked Oatmeal with Apples 'n' Honey
Weekends are made for enjoying time with friends and family over a relaxed brunch. This dish is warming, wholesome and perfect to serve straight to the table for everyone to dive in and help themselves!
- 300 g rolled oats wheat & gluten-free
- 150 ml agave maple syrup or honey (adapt this according to how much sweetness you like)
- 2 in flax or chia “eggs” – made using 2 tbsp. milled flaxseeds or chia seeds soaked6 tbsp. water & left to stand for 15 minutes stirring regularly OR 2 large eggs, beaten)
- 350 ml almond rice or seed milk
- 3 apples (pink lady, braeburn, royal gala) peeled, cored and cut into small ½cubes
- 100 g raisins
- 100 g pecan halves broken into small pieces
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste or seeds scraped from 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2-4 pinches sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 400°F gas mark 6, 200°C (180°C fan-assisted). You will need a 34 cm oven proof dish.
- To make the chia or flax “eggs” measure the seeds into a small bowl with 6 tbsp water, mix well and leave to stand for 15 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Peel and core the apples, cut into ½ inch cubes and place in a mixing bowl with the agave/maple syrup or honey and cinnamon, mix well. Spoon 6 tbsp. of the apples into another mixing bowl, add half (50g) of the broken pecans, stir and set aside for the topping.
- Place the rolled oats, raisins, remaining apple cubes and pecans, baking powder, sea salt, vanilla bean paste/seeds and almond (or alternative) milk in a large mixing bowl and stir to combine.
- Add the chia/flax “eggs” (or beaten eggs) into the mixture, mixing well until thoroughly combined.
- Pour the mixture into your ovenproof dish and, using a large spoon, spread the mixture out and level the surface. Sprinkle over the reserved apple and pecan topping mix and, using the back of a spoon, press lightly into the oats.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes or until golden – if you want a softer, more moist texture then 35 minutes should be long enough.
- Remove from the oven and serve straight away, with some coconut or almond yogurt and your other favorite toppings.
LISA’S TIP – This cross between a cake, granola bar and bowl of oatmeal is a great alternative to stove-top/overnight oats or Bircher muesli with the tender apples and fragrant cinnamon combining to give the most deliciously warming feeling when eaten – plus it fills your kitchen with the most heavenly aroma! I think it’s delicious as is but do feel free to drizzle with some extra honey or syrup for additional sweetness, a dollop of nut butter for richness or a sprinkling of fruit and nuts for extra flavor and texture. If you want to get ahead then you can make and bake this the day before and store, covered, in the fridge before re-heating the next day - you can also store leftovers in the fridge and eat either hot or cold for up to 5 days afterwards. I like to use Pink Lady apples, raisins and pecans when I make this however feel free to use whatever apples, dried fruit and nuts you prefer (or that need using up!)